Wednesday 12th of May 2021

Follow Us

Breaking News

Cameroon: Authorities urged to seek justice for recent deadly attacks

 (FastMail) - UN Secretary-General António Guterres has urged authorities in Cameroon to take steps to prosecute perpetrators behind two recent deadly attacks in the Anglophone provinces of the country, his Spokesperson said on Friday.

 

In a note responding to questions from journalists, Stéphane Dujarric said the UN chief is concerned about persistent violence in the North-West and South-West regions, mainly affecting civilians.

 

“He takes note of the willingness of the Government of Cameroon to launch an investigation into the 10 January incident in Mautu (in the South-West) that reportedly left at least 10 civilians dead”, said the statement. 

 

The Secretary-General also condemned an attack on the convoy of the prefect of Momo department in North-West Region which occurred last week. 

 

Mr. Guterres has extended his deepest condolences to the families of the victims and wished a speedy recovery to the wounded.

 

“The Secretary-General urges the Cameroonian authorities to take all necessary measures to swiftly bring the perpetrators of both attacks to justice and enhance the protection of civilians”, the note said. 

 

Cameroon is a predominantly Francophone country, located in West Africa, and separatists in the English-speaking regions have been fighting to create their own state.

 

The UN chief also reiterated his call on all parties to cease hostilities and engage in a political dialogue to end the crisis.

 
Related Africa News

Leaders challenged to pick up King Zwelithini’s spear

 (FAST MAIL) --President Cyril Ramaphosa has challenged leaders to pick up King Goodwill Zwelithini KaBhekuzulu’s spear and continue the quest to build a better South Africa.   Delivering the eulogy during a special memorial service for the late Zulu King, held at kwaKhethomthandayo ....

Over 10% healthcare workers vaccinated in SA

 (Fast Mail News) -South Africa has successfully inoculated more than 10% of its healthcare workers through the Sisonke Study, as more vaccine vials are expected to arrive this weekend.   To support the country’s risk-based, three-phased National COVID-19 Vaccine Rollout Strategy, Si....

SA marks one year of COVID-19 pandemic

 (FASTMAIL) –On Friday SA  marks exactly a year to the day that South Africa confirmed its first COVID-19 case.   On 5 March 2020, Health Minister, Dr Zweli Mkhize, announced the news of a 38-year-old COVID-19 patient from KwaZulu-Natal.   The man tested positive after a s....

Africa COVID-19 cases surpass 3.1M: Africa CDC

 The number of confirmed COVID-19 cases on the African continent reached 3,107,979 as of Wednesday, the Africa Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (Africa CDC) said.   According to the continental disease control and prevention agency's Africa COVID-19 dashboard, the death toll rel....

Landmark alliance launches in Africa to fight COVID-19 misinformation

 Brazzaville(FastMailNews)  – The World Health Organization (WHO) three days back  launched a new alliance, the Africa Infodemic Response Alliance (AIRA), to coordinate actions and pool resources in combating misinformation around COVID-19 pandemic and other health emergencies i....

Links
Contact
Editor :
Jagadananda Pradhan
Email :
fastmailcc@gmail.com
news@fastmail.news
Ph : (+91)6764295999
Contact Us
© 2021 Fast Mail Media Pvt Ltd. All Rights Reserved.
Developed by : FM Media Pvt Ltd.