Sunday 30th of November 2025

Follow Us

Breaking News

Bangladesh Army Chief Announces Interim Govt Soon As PM Shekh Hasina Flees Country

 DHAKA: Bangladesh military chief Gen. Waker-uz-Zaman on Monday announced an interim government after Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina fled the country due to violent nationwide protests.

Hundreds of people were killed and wounded during the protests since July, which first called for the abolition of quotas in government jobs and later the resignation of the Hasina, who had been in power since 2009.

The 76-year-old is the daughter of Sheikh Mujibur Rahman, the founding leader of Bangladesh.

In an address to the nation after meeting political party leaders, Zaman called for peace and said there would be “no need” of martial law if normalcy returns to the South Asian nation. He pledged to probe deaths of the protesters.

 “After holding a fruitful discussion with all political parties, we have decided to form an interim government. We will speak with President Mohammed Shahabuddin now to resolve the situation,” the Army chief was quoted as saying in the Dhaka Tribue.

He called for a halt to all violence in the name of protest and promised that the new government will ensure justice for all the deaths that took place during the Anti-Discriminatory Student Movement, it said.

Hasina’s forced exile followed a 45-minute ultimatum given to her by the Army chief, a day after clashes killed nearly 100 people across the country, said media reports.

 

 

 On Monday, protesters stormed the PM’s official residence, Gono Bhaban, shouting slogans and waving flags, media reports said.

The PM, departed from her residence on Monday afternoon on a military helicopter for an undisclosed destination, The Dhaka Tribune reported.

She was accompanied by her younger sister, Sheikh Rehana, as they left for a "safer place", the report said.

Hasina, took office for her fourth straight five-year term as the country's Prime Minister in January this year after her ruling Bangladesh Awami League (AL) party won a landslide victory in the parliamentary elections.

Over 300 people have died in the unrest, making this one of the deadliest periods of civil unrest in Bangladesh's history, said media reports.

The quota unrest began in June 2024 when the High Court reinstated a 30 per cent quota for the descendants of freedom fighters from the 1971 war of independence, reversing a 2018 decision that had abolished such quotas.

Related World News

At least 44 dead, after 200 missing after fire rips through Hong Kong apartment blocks

 HONG KONG: At least 44 people dead and 279 reported missing with rescuers still pulling residents from blazing high-rise apartment buildings into the morning.  Police had arrested three men on suspicion of manslaughter in connection with fire which began Wednesday afternoon in a housing c....

Former Bangladesh PM Sheikh Hasina Sentenced To Death For July Crimes

 DHAKA: The International Crimes Tribunal (ICT) has sentenced  former prime minister Sheikh Hasina to death on charges of crimes against humanity tied to the tumultuous demonstrations of last July. The courtroom drama unfolded live on Bangladesh Television (BTV), as the three-member Tribun....

Donald Trump praises Modi for stopping purchase of Russian oil

 PATNA: US President Donald Trump has said he could travel to India next year and noted that talks with India are “going good".  "It’s great, going good. He (Prime Minister Narendra Modi) stopped... Largely he stopped buying oil from Russia,” Trump said at the O....

Afghanistan earthquake death toll climbs to 27, hundreds wounded

 At least 27 people were killed and hundreds of others wounded after a 6.3 magnitude earthquake struck northern Afghanistan at around 1 am local time on Monday (2030GMT Sunday), officials said. The quake struck several northern provinces, including Balkh, Samangan, Sar-e-Pul, Baghlan, and Kundu....

119 killed in massive police operation against Rio criminal ring

 At least 119 people were killed in a massive police operation targeting an organized criminal ring in Brazil's second largest city Rio de Janeiro, authorities said Wednesday.  The large-scale raid was launched Tuesday against members of the Comando Vermelho gang in the Alemao and Penha fa....

Links
Contact
Editor :
Jagadananda Pradhan
Email :
fastmail@yahoo.com
For Ads :
fastmailads@gmail.com
Ph : (+91)6764295999
Contact Us
© 2025 Fast Mail Media Pvt Ltd. All Rights Reserved.
Powered by : FM Media Pvt Ltd.
Developed by : Futuradept Tech